Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2012

Stravinsky - Symphony of Psalms

Stravinsky – Symphony of Psalms - 5/5 Stars

Written in 3 movements without pause between movements, this exquisite piece takes listeners on an unusual symphonic adventure. Stravinsky himself considered “it not a symphony in which I have included Psalms to be sung. On the contrary, it is the singing of the psalms that I am symphonizing”

One truly enjoyable feature is the broad usage of styles. The opening movement sounds very neo-classical with all its standard deviations from the classical period: abrupt time shifts, nontraditional treatment of harmony and resolutions, and ostinatos. The second movement however sounds like it dates back 300 years by employing the fugue (double fugue in this case) and writing in the style of the high renaissance Venetian choral composer. This movement is very calm and allows deep reflection on the psalms:

I waited patiently for the Lord: and He inclined unto me, and heard my calling.
He brought me also out of the horrible pit, out of the mire and clay.
and set my feet upon the rock, and ordered my goings.
And He hath put a new song in my mouth: even a thanksgiving unto our God.
Many shall see it and fear: and shall put their trust in the Lord.


The third movement starts as a rousing and boisterous ride. Stravinsky wrote:

"The final hymn of praise must be thought of as issuing from the skies; agitation is followed by the calm of praise. In setting the words of this final hymn I cared only for the sounds of the syllables and I have indulged to the limit my besetting pleasure of regulating prosody in my own way".

Later in the movement we hear a slower, ominously dark section that shifts back and forth between mood and uses descending chromaticism to create a sense of unease. This is a little unusual considering the text:

Alleluja.
Praise God in His sanctuary:
Praise Him in the firmament of His power.
Praise Him for His mighty acts:
Praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet:
Praise Him with the timbrel and dance.
Praise Him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise Him upon the high sounding cymbals,
Praise Him upon the loud cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord.
Alleluja.


Perhaps what I interpreted to be slightly dark was simply a misunderstanding for reverence? Nonetheless, the composer ends with the final cadences sounding almost heavenly.

This piece is a must for anyone interested in 20th century music. Stravinsky was one of the greatest innovators in western music and his music is brilliantly crafted. The Symphony of Psalms stands alone in its own genre of symphony plus psalm and is well worth a listen or ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment